What's Up Wednesday

What's Up Wednesday is a weekly meme geared toward readers and writers, allowing us to touch base with blog friends and let them know what's up.  Should you wish to join, check out Jaime's lovely blog and sign up with the link widget at the bottom of her post.


WHAT I'M READING

Reading? What is this thing you call "reading"? Honestly, I have been so busy that picking up a book this week, just wasn't a possibility. It's sad really, because reading is one of the things I enjoy most. And it is also one thing, that calms me when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed. However, I am choosing to look at it as a small, short-term sacrifice. Here's why:

I'm currently working 3 jobs right now. Yes, you heard me right. Three! There is a reason for this madness. I am working at transitioning out of my first job (a.k.a. Evil Day Job) in six months time. *breathes into paper bag* Actually, I am quite excited about it. Well, let's say equal parts trepidation and excitement. For about 7 years now, I have been working to build my EcoTourism side business, into a viable "we can live on this" kind of thing. It's a huge risk, I know. I'm giving up a steady salary, benefits and all the rest that comes with a "real" job. But it is a risk that I am going to take, because if this mad idea works, it will ultimately lead to a much happier, more self-fulfilled little me. Wish me luck! *crosses fingers and toes*


WHAT I'M WRITING

Even with everything else going on. I have managed to stick to my writing goals this week. Even though I literally fell asleep on my laptop one night. Boy Chris, who gets major points for being extra supportive this week, actually tried to carry me to bed. Which resulted in a "put me down" debate of epic and sleepy proportions. 

But I am still on target to finish my rewrites by the end of the month and then I get to go back to writing on my new MS in all it's wonderful, shiny glory. I haven't been this excited about a project in a while and I can't wait to show the first draft to someone. It's completely different than anything I've ever written, but there is just something about this one. I can't put my finger on it, but I have a good feeling about it. Somehow it just feels more "me". Like I didn't hold anything back and truly let my little freak flag fly. 


WHAT ELSE I'VE BEEN UP TO



That picture pretty much sums up my entire week. We paddled for 11 hours on Saturday! It was an absolute blast! But oh my, I was so sore by Sunday that moving really should have been "optional". 

That picture was taken at my absolute favorite time of the day. At low tide in the evenings, the wind dies down. The water becomes glassy and a stillness descends over the ocean. It is the hush of the day winding down. The birds fly back to their roosts. Dolphins fish in the shallows. And my heartbeat drops to match tide. It is almost magical in its beauty. 

At night, lying in bed, I still feel that quiet roll of the ocean beneath me. It brings me beautiful dreams in blues and greens.


WHAT INSPIRES ME RIGHT NOW

I am usually not one for inspirational quotes. Perhaps decades of sitting in offices staring at banal Successories posters, cured me of my desire for "inspirational" quotations. But I was recently glancing through a collection of poetry and one line stuck out at me again. It pretty much sums up what I am trying to achieve this year (and breaking my back in the process). So I printed it out, and hung it on my office wall. I look at it every morning. And even if I am too sore to move, too tired to write, too stressed out to have a normal thought, it reminds me of why I am doing what I am doing. And hopefully, why it will all be worth it.


"What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"
- Mary Oliver




20 comments:

  1. That's an awesome quote! And I can feel your "pain" on the transitioning. I've been there for two years: teaching and tutoring (MY side business) for two-three years. And now the teaching gig is over and we are hoping the side business pans out. We'll see!

    And congrats on keeping up with your writing progress! I hope you have a wonderful writing week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! And how fantastic that your tutoring business is taking off! Fingers crossed for you. :)

      Delete
  2. Good luck w/ the job transition! Sounds exciting (while also stressful...but still exciting!) And congrats for meeting goals!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandie!I'm just hoping all the stress will be worth it. Otherwise, it will likely be the most epic belly flop in the History of Mankind. :)

      Delete
  3. Such a great quote (and nothing at all like those de-Motivational poster quotes). Thanks for sharing it! That's awesome that your new MS has you so excited. What a great feeling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I know, I actually make my own de-Motivational posters and replace all the dumb posters in the office with ones of my own devising. So far, no one has noticed. And yeah, I haven't been this excited about an MS for a long time. Though, I might just have the first draft blinders on. :)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your career goals. I really need to see about getting a more serious job myself after camp ends. I hope you have a lot of success with the new book you're planning to write. There's really something about working on a book that lights a spark in you, instead of writing just because you think you have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie-Anne! And now I have to go check out your post to see what you mean by "camp". *trundles off to check* :)

      Delete
  5. I love that quote! Wow.
    I hope your job transition goes well. It sounds like quite the mix of exciting and scary, but good for you for pursuing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yeah, it is a great quote. One that forces me to do the important things in life. When I'm on my death bed, I don't think I'm going to regret not doing MORE laundry. :)

      Delete
  6. @#$%^@#$! - I left this long comment and my internet timed out and erased it all. Ugh.

    First - I absolutely LOVE that picture of you out on the water. So beautiful and one of these days, I can't wait to be out there with you.

    I also love that quote. What a great inspiration to get you out of said Evil Day Job - and I can't wait for the day you get to put in your notice. You have worked so hard to get there and I'm cheering you on every step of the way! Granted, we were supposed to leave EDJ's together - and I'm sorry mine happened a little sooner than expected. :) But your day is coming and I will be there with the biggest margarita in hand!

    And I'm so excited you're nearing the end on your new WiP!!! I can't wait to get my paws on it, either - so send away whenever your ready. Cause I'm waiting. *waves from Seattle!* Still waiting. And I know exactly what you mean about writing something that feels more YOU. I so feel the exact same way with WTWF - now if only I could get in there and finish it. I think I may just be inspired to write again soon-ish. I hope.

    Love that C. had to carry you off - wish I could've seen that. :) You know I love that boy and wish he could teach a thing or two to my man. You're a lucky girl...lucky indeed!

    Wishing you a happy Wednesday my lovely friend. Big hugs. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I hate it when my internet does that!! And "biggest margarita in hand", haha as if I needed more incentive. And maybe, just maybe, *fingers crossed* we'll be done at about the same time and can swap.

      And yeah, I do not deserve C. At all. He's all, "I love you" and I'm all "You have something in your teeth".

      And I think my resignation will be in video form, and I think I'll have to post it on the blog. :)

      Delete
    2. "I love you" and I'm all "You have something in your teeth" - OMG, totally laughing right now.

      And yes to the vid resignation - I'm on my way down to set up the camera, because that, I can't miss. :)

      Delete
  7. Yay for great feelings about what you're writing! And good luck on the job transition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shana! Cross your fingers for me, I can use all the help I can get. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow!!!! That picture looks great!

    You sound busy and I´m very impressed you kept your writing goals! Congrats!!! Good luck for next week :D

    "And it is also one thing, that calms me when I am feeling stressed or overwhelmed." --> totally agree with this! Hope you get some reading time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that photo of you on the water. And I love that quote!

    I think it's awesome that you're transitioning into running your own business. I'm sure it'll be really fulfilling to work for yourself. Good luck with everything!

    And good luck with all of your writing goals. Looking forward to hearing more about your new MS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Three jobs! Wow. I'm amazed that you're able to write, much less do all of the other amazing things you do! I worked three jobs a couple of times during my college years and, although I never EVER want to do it again, I would in a heartbeat if it meant that I could pursue my dreams.

    I hope your business takes off! I'll be rooting for you!!!

    And I love your enthusiasm for your MS! If you want/need another beta reader, I'm volunteering!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three jobs?! Oh boy, I so need to stop grumbling about being busy. And paddling for eleven hours is insane! You're like the Bionic Woman! I'm definitely crossing my fingers for you. It would be so amazing if you could focus on your EcoTourism business full time. I think that's pretty much the coolest thing ever, and I can see why you'd want to do that for a living! Love the picture and your description of low tide. Keep plugging away on those revisions, and I hope you get to spend some time on that new MS soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, paddling for 11 hours sounds like flying to the moon for me. I admire that! And I think your goals are exactly what you should be doing. It might feel scary to make so many big changes, but change is what defines us, what makes us who we ultimately become (and then we change again!).

    Keep writing that scary, wonderful, perfect WIP! I'm so glad it found you! :-)

    ReplyDelete